TITLE: Office Assistant
SUPERVISOR: Adriana Villafan
Office Assistant is an entry level position that will provide support to the TRiO Student Support Services Program. The student will assist project staff in preparing handouts and materials for students, maintaining program files, and performing general office duties. This job will include filing and mailing information to project participants as well as assisting with project activities.
Working under close supervision, Office Assistant is at the entry/trainee level. Employees are given detailed instructions in the performance of routine clerical duties related to filing, form processing, record maintenance, mail, and typing or data entry and perform tasks that are more structured and repetitive. As requisite skills and knowledge are developed, greater independence and the full scope of responsibility are exercised.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Represents Heritage University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our services, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Heritage University.
2. Upholds the Heritage University Mission Statement.
3. Handles confidential information with tact, discretion and in compliance with FERPA regulations.
4. Complete tasks by using basic office machines, such as, computers, fax machine, copier and calculator.
5. Answers inquiries related to department services, programs, and operations. This includes, assisting the public in person or by phone, screen and route phone calls, and scheduling appointments.
6. Obtains information, resolves discrepancies or errors, disperses relevant information, or refers client to the appropriate personnel or location; explains the proper use of forms and documents.
7. Verifies that information or data is complete, accurate, and consistent.
8. Maintains department files. This includes hard and electronic files using Student Access.
9. Manages staff calendars including scheduling of 160 Individual Success Plans, Retention meetings, and drop in meetings.
10. Place reminder calls to students who have appointments with the S3 Program.
11. Track event participation for S3 TRIO program in excel data sheet.
12. Create all flyers for S3 events, workshops, and trips.
13. Make recruitment phone calls for all workshops, events and trips.
14. Participate in recruitment tabling.
15. Answers incoming phone calls with professionalism, discretion and tact.
16. Make daily mail run for TRIOS3 program.
17. Greet students seeking TRIOS3 services in a professional and timely manner.
18. Keep inventory of all TRIOS3 supplies/maintain supply closet.
19. Other duties as assigned.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs other functions as necessary or as assigned. Screens and distributes incoming mail and sends out informational materials and letters. Processes, maintains, and prepares forms, records, reports, and control logs.
During the regular academic year employees must be enrolled and eligible for the HU work study program; must be able to work at 15-19 hours a week; strong English grammar, vocabulary, spelling and punctuation and ability to utilize Word, Excel and other computer applications and possesses strong keyboarding skills. Capacity to follow detailed directions and are teachable. Capacity to provide excellent customer service and strong organizational skills. Ability to stay on task and complete job requirements even when the office may become busy.